If you’re going to create a breast milk stash in your freezer, you will need to keep breast milk storage bags on hand. Some breastfeeding moms use standard freezer bags for this, but there are several advantages to using bags created just for breast milk:
- Breast milk bags are pre-sterilized. You don’t have that comfort with a standard freezer bag, so contamination is a big concern.
- Bags designed for breast milk are marked with measurements. This makes it fast and easy to determine how much milk you have in the freezer at any given time.
- The best breast milk storage bags are leak proof. Some standard freezer bags are sturdy and won’t leak, but others may leave you with a pool of breast milk.
Are you concerned about keeping your breast milk stash organized? There’s always the chance that bags will get pushed to the back of the freezer and forgotten if you don’t use a breast milk organizer. These unique storage units won’t take up much room in your freezer and will ensure that your milk is used on a first-stored, first-used basis.
Selecting the Best Breast Milk Storage Bags
There are a lot of breast milk storage bags out there, but some have features that put them above the competition. To help you select the best bags for your budget and your needs, we did the research to identify our top five picks:
- Lansinoh Breastmilk Bags: These bags are our top recommendation because they have strong side seams to avoid leakage and allow you to pump directly into the bag. This eliminates the messy step of transferring milk from a bottle or storage container to the bag. The seal is among the best in the industry, and the bags will stand up in the fridge or lie flat in the freezer for convenience. These are also the largest bags out there right now, so you can store more milk in less space.
- Philips AVENT Breast Milk Storage Bags: While you can’t pump directly into these bags, they do have a wide opening to make the transfer of milk a bit easier. The bags are thick, durable and fitted with tamper-proof closures that won’t leak. Many breastfeeding mothers use these bags because they’re from one of the most trustworthy brand names in the baby industry.
- Nurture Right Breastmilk Storage Bags: These self-standing bags are phthalate-, latex-, and BPA-free. They’re quite durable and have a secure closure to prevent leaking. They’re designed to stand up, so you might need a storage unit if you want them to flatten when placed in the freezer.
- Bonafide Baby Breast Milk Storage Bag: These bags have double zip closures to prevent leakage and resist freezer burn. You can write a name, date and time of storage on the top of each bag, making it easy to ensure that you use the oldest milk at each feeding.
- Mommy’s Precious Breast Milk Storage Bags: If you’re concerned about the accuracy of measurement with your breast milk storage bags, these bags may put your mind at ease. The manufacturers guarantee 95% accuracy, but the bags may not be as durable and secure as some competitors ranked higher on our list.
Try to stock up on breast milk bags before your baby is born, and then keep the stockpile going by ordering replacement bags on a routine basis. The worst feeling in the world is realizing that you’re out of bags and it will take Amazon two days to ship you more, or even longer if you’re not a Prime member.